Six things to know on San Antonio ISD superintendent's plan to reopen schools in the fall
San Antonio ISD Superintendent Pedro Martinez said Tuesday during with the Express-News he wants schools to reopen next semester, but cautioned that education will look different amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The district has already ordered protective equipment for students and teachers. Temperature checks could be utilized at the entrance to school buildings, Martinez said, and social-distancing measures will be in place inside.
- Martinez envisions a "blended model" for SAISD schools when students and teachers return in the fall. He said that while classrooms are the best environment for children, it may not be possible for students to fill them like they did before spring break this year.
Get more details at our subscriber site, ExpressNews.com:
- The new model could feature students learning in smaller groups spread out across school buildings, including cafeterias and gymnasiums.
- Sports and large performing arts events face an uncertain future. Martinez said that while the University Interscholastic League will dictate athletics, he does not expect a full slate of games in the fall.
- The district still has July dates set for graduation ceremonies at the Alamodome. If restrictions lessen by then, those ceremonies could go ahead as planned, but SAISD is also planning for virtual graduations.
- Martinez lauded SAISD teachers for the online lesson plans they've put together for students, but emphasized that there is no replacing face-to-face classroom interaction with students.
- He acknowledged parents are overwhelmed trying to fill that role from 36棋牌.
To keep our community informed of the most urgent coronavirus news, our are free to read. is available to subscribers. Subscribe now for full access and to
"My main message to parents is don't try to replicate the classroom," Martinez said. "Don't beat yourself over the head because your child is not writing correctly or not doing an assignment correctly."
Mark Dunphy is a breaking news and general assignment reporter for MySA.com |